W15.1.2 June 10 (Mon)/reflexive report—CHENG SHIYI

What did I learn from this class?

I learnt a lot in this class. For the first time, I learned about sociology, and not only did I learn the basics of sociology, but I also gained some understanding of the information as well. Sociology covers a wide range of topics, but every area I have learnt from this semester has given me a new perspective on sociology.

Initially, I had a very limited understanding of sociology, thinking that it had very little to do with everyday life. However, through this course I have learned that sociology is not just the study of society, but it is also the study of human society, social behaviour, social relations, social structure and social change, etc. It is a large discipline that studies human society, social behaviour, social relations, social structure and social change. It focuses more on human interaction in groups and societies, exploring how social order is formed and maintained, and how society influences individual behaviour and thought. Through theoretical and empirical research, sociologists analyse social phenomena and reveal social patterns to understand and solve social problems. Through this I have learnt about social inequality, the specific gap between capitalism and socialism, the effects of globalisation on society, race, economy and so on. These various aspects have helped me to better understand the world. And it has provided me with multiple perspectives on how society works and changes. For example, functionalism has shown me how societies maintain order, while conflict theory has revealed the problems of inequality and conflict in societies and so on. There is also religion in the context of globalisation, which is not just about personal beliefs, but I have learnt that religion is a social phenomenon that affects social integration and identity. Through studying inequality and other areas and aspects, I have learnt that there are many aspects of inequality in society such as class, gender, race and so on. These inequalities are not just individual issues, but more structural and institutional issues that we need to deeply reflect on and address from the perspective of social structure and cultural change. Therefore, some issues in the classroom are more and more worthy of our deep reflection and discussion.

 Overall this semester in this course I have learned how to observe and analyse social phenomena in a scientific way. Whether it is through statistics or interviews and surveys, etc., I will be able to study and understand social issues in a systematic way. The concepts provided in this class and the methods in the articles will allow me to think and analyse in a more rational and structured way when I have complex social problems. The multi-disciplinary approach has developed my ability to analyse and understand social phenomena in a variety of areas. In today's diversified society with the rapid development of the information society, these will also have an impact on my study, work and life in the future. I would like to thank the professor for giving me an enjoyable and enriching course experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 29 (Mon) Kim Chae Eun

Week14.2 (6.7Fri)Introduction to Sociology/Technology, the Internet, and Virtual Worlds (YANGPEIFU)

Extra point D) Science & Futurism with Isaac Arthur 노주