W15.1 June 10 (Mon) : a reflexive report - Hong gyeongmin(홍경민)

 

Through this course, I gained an in-depth understanding of various fields within sociology. Before taking this course, I only associated sociology with economics and politics. However, this course has enlightened me that sociology encompasses not only economics and politics but also culture, religion, gender, conflict, demography, the internet, and every aspect of everyday life. Among these topics, I found the section on religion particularly interesting. In Korea, most people adhere to Christianity, Buddhism, or Catholicism. However, it was fascinating to learn that there are many more types of religions worldwide and that people hold diverse religious beliefs. This diversity has allowed me to appreciate the rich variety of human beliefs and values.

Additionally, this course provided an excellent opportunity to learn about various sociologists and their theories. One of the most impactful experiences was learning about Karl Marx in depth. While I had briefly studied Marx in high school, the focus was primarily on his ethical claims because they were taught in the context of ethics. This course allowed me to delve deeper into Marx's role as a sociologist and understand his broader theories and ideas.

Karl Marx made several significant contributions to sociology, one of which is the concept of class struggle. Marx argued that the conflict between the capitalist class and the working class drives historical development in capitalist societies. He analyzed the structural issue where capitalists exploit workers' labor to pursue profit, while workers must sell their labor to survive. Marx predicted that inherent contradictions in capitalism would eventually lead to its collapse, and workers would unite to create a communist society through revolution. Marx's sociological theories remain highly relevant today and are instrumental in understanding various social phenomena.

Another advantage of the course was the use of electronic devices to find relevant information in real-time. Accessing resources like Wikipedia and the latest sociological statistics allowed me to observe changes from the past to the present, making the course content more tangible. These resources helped bridge the theories discussed in class with real-world examples, enhancing my comprehension of sociological concepts.

In future related courses, I realized the importance of focusing on changes over time. Sociology is not a static discipline; it continually evolves with societal changes. Therefore, consistently exploring the latest data, statistics, and research from various scholars is crucial. Building on what I've learned from this course, I aim to understand social phenomena more deeply and develop the ability to analyze them critically. This approach will significantly aid in broadening and deepening my understanding of sociology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 29 (Mon) Kim Chae Eun

Week14.2 (6.7Fri)Introduction to Sociology/Technology, the Internet, and Virtual Worlds (YANGPEIFU)

Extra point D) Science & Futurism with Isaac Arthur 노주