[Extra Credit] Channel D-1, An sang wook
(64) What If The Dinosaurs Hadn't Died Off? - YouTube
1. What was surprising or interesting in the video?
In the video, the assumption is made that dinosaurs did not go extinct and have survived to the present day. What intrigued me was that they did not casually predict how strong such dinosaurs would be. Typically, people think dinosaurs would be very powerful due to their size, strong claws, and talons. I share the same view. However, in the video, the person did not simply declare dinosaurs as overwhelmingly strong. Instead, they likened a fight between dinosaurs and polar bears to a showdown between Doctor Strange and Harry Potter. This analogy suggests that because they are from different worlds, the outcome of the fight is unpredictable.
2. What is the main topic of the video, and what do you think about it?
Isaac Arthur's video "What If The Dinosaurs Hadn't Died Off?" explores hypothetical scenarios where dinosaurs did not experience a mass extinction event. If dinosaurs had not gone extinct and continued to exist, we would explore how their presence would have altered Earth's ecosystem. Dinosaurs played various ecological roles that influenced the structure and diversity of plants, animals, and ecosystems. Here's my take on this. First of all, I'm not particularly fond of the word 'if'. Especially from a historical perspective, I believe we should avoid using the word 'if'. This is because history is a continuum of causal relationships, and once we start assuming 'if', we can only predict what might follow, not know for certain. However, even though this video primarily used 'if' as its main content, I think the conclusion at the end followed my thoughts somewhat closely, so it wasn't too bad.
3. How does the topic of this video tie to what we have been discussing in class?
As I mentioned earlier, I am skeptical about hypotheticals. I believe the phrase "What if dinosaurs hadn't gone extinct?" is inherently meaningless. I'm curious to know what other students think about this.
Comments
Post a Comment