W9.1 April 29 (Mon)-Chaehyun Lee
1. Summary
Socialization is the process of preparing humans to function in social life. It involves learning and codifying the roles we play in social life, such as inhibiting impulsive behavior and speech, acting according to our conscience, and fulfilling our professional, gender, and family roles. Socialization is culturally relative. People from different cultures are socialized in different ways because we are each socialized to fit the society we live in.
2. Interesting Things
Socialization is the process by which the majority of people within a human society ensure their maximum freedom and lead a stable life. Socialization is therefore crucial for individuals to function within the social structure.
I believe that socialization is very closely related to social class. Socialization is indispensable for the thickening of boundaries between social classes and their smooth functioning. How socially active parents educate their children, who have little or no experience of social life, about social class has a profound effect on their views of class boundaries. Most lower-class parents emphasize conformity in their children, while middle-class parents emphasize creativity and independence. This is a reproductive process that reinforces class boundaries. Socialization is a key process that enables us to function well in social life, but it also has a significant impact on the likelihood of speaking up about inherent problems and harms in social relationships.
3. Questions
I've always known that not all aspects of human behavior are learned, but I wouldn't say that I'm particularly familiar with which ones are, so I was very interested to learn that there is a possibility that empathy and moral capacities are biologically determined, and I'm curious about the extent to which they are, and the extent to which they can be socialized.
Comments
Post a Comment