[W6.1] Introduction to Sociology/Economy - Shim ChaeYeon(심채연)
1) Summary
An economy is the way people utilize their environment to meet their material needs. Historically, the economy has grown with the development of human society, and the Industrial Revolution since then has laid the foundation for the modern economy by enabling mass production.
Capitalism is an economic and social system in which capital and means of production are privately controlled, and labor, goods, and capital are traded in the market. Capitalist economics has developed through the interaction of raw materials, money, labor, means of production, and production.
Capitalism is criticized for its unfair distribution of wealth and power, environmental destruction, and unstable economic system.
Socialism is an economic theory and philosophy centered on the public or worker ownership of the means of production. It pursues a society in which all individuals have equal access to resources. Socialism has various forms and supports a centrally planned economy or a mixed economy.
Socialism appears in various forms around the world, but it has been criticized for its inefficient economic/political model and civil liberties violations.
Measures of economic activity include consumer spending, exchange rates, GDP, GNP, stock market, interest rates, national debt, inflation rates, unemployment rates, and trade balances.
2) Something interesting or new that I learned
It was interesting that the concepts existed slightly differently among socialism. Most of them, like North Korea, thought socialism was a way of collecting and redistributing all the wealth from the center. But there are similar but different slogans, such as "To each according to his contribution," "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." Some socialists also want complete nationalization, while others want state control within the framework of the market economy. Because of this difference, some socialist countries have failed, and some socialist countries may still exist.
I learned a new thing about the Gini coefficient. I knew about GDP, but I did not know that there was an income distribution index that indicates the degree of income inequality.
3) Questions & Discussions
What does capitalism in Korea look like? Does Korea follow classical capitalism or is it using a mixture of other economic factors?
Are there any economic systems other than capitalism and socialism? If you think about the third new way, what would it be?
I think there is another system. I think the economic system is democracy, and it is currently applied in Korea as well. I also think democracy is an important system. I think democracy should be maintained because I think we can increase the democracy of our people and make our country a better country through democracy. And it can be said that such democracy appears and appears frequently without knowing it in everyday life such as economy. Therefore, I think democracy belongs to other economic systems besides capitalism.
ReplyDeleteSouth Korea's economic system blends elements of capitalism with government intervention, known as developmental capitalism. It combines free-market principles with state-led policies to promote growth. Besides capitalism and socialism, emerging ideas include mixed-market economies and participatory economics, aiming for a balance between market forces and equitable resource distribution.
ReplyDelete