[W5.1] Introduction to Sociology/Religion - Shim ChaeYeon(심채연)

 1) Summary

The definition of religion can be understood from various perspectives, such as sacred versus profane, religion as an existential question, and religion as supernatural.

Church-sectarian typology is one of the important sociological systems used to classify and understand religions. It is divided into churches, denominations, and heretical/new religious movements. This typology is an important tool for understanding the diversity and development of religions, and it provides insight into the characteristics and development of religious groups.

There are religious theories from early sociological theorists who attempted to explain religion. There are various theories and perspectives, including Emile Durkheim's structural and functional approach, Marx's approach to social conflict, social constructivist approach, religious pluralism, and social psychological perspectives. These various approaches help us understand religion, but we must understand it from a variety of perspectives because each one focuses on certain aspects of it and may not fully explain its complexity.

Religion affects human society in many ways, and differences exist in various domains, including gender, race, class, educational level, and relevance to health. Taking these various aspects into consideration, we can understand how complex and diverse religious influences are in relation to social factors. 

An understanding of a religion's future is shaped by a number of factors. Secularization tends to reduce the social, political, and cultural influences of religion. The New World Theory explains the weakening of religious authority and the tendency to seek authority outside of religion. Religious fundamentalism values religious beliefs and tends to use them for political purposes.


2) Something interesting or new that I learned

It was interesting that fear is one of the main motivations for people to pursue religion. The document cited the fear of death and the afterlife as an example, but I agree that other fearful situations will also find God. I have no religion, but I pray to any god when I am unsure of the outcome, afraid of being eliminated, or afraid of being in a scary situation. I think I can think of people who believe in religion very deeply as clinging to God because they are sometimes afraid and uncertain about life. I also thought that if death and fear of the afterlife were major factors in religious belief, the reason why many of the elderly are deeply involved in religion compared to young people may be that they are closer to death.


3) Questions & Discussions

Why is it that women are more interested in religion and participate in it than men? I have read what is explained in the document, but I do not understand it. It is said that religion does not alleviate gender inequality, but rather there are many doctrines that maintain it. It is difficult for women to achieve great success by using religion as a profession, so why?

How much power will religion have in Korea in the future? Unlike other cultures in the past, religion seems to lose its power, but it still occupies a considerable proportion. How will the power of religion change in Korean society as time passes?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 29 (Mon) Kim Chae Eun

Week14.2 (6.7Fri)Introduction to Sociology/Technology, the Internet, and Virtual Worlds (YANGPEIFU)

Extra point D) Science & Futurism with Isaac Arthur 노주