W.5-2 April 5th / 이동규 Lee Dong Gyu
5-2 April 5th
Summary: Sociology related to religion studies religion through social scientific research methods.
In classical sociology, sociological theorists such as Emile Durkheim, Max Weber, and Karl Marx became obsessed with religion and began to explore it. Karl Marx was interested in human reason, and thus religion was a hindrance to it. However, without banning religion, he used it as a justification for economic inequality. Durkheim considered religion to play a big role in unifying society and Weber wrote a book called Protestant Ethics and the Spirit of Capitalism, combining religion and the spirit of capitalism.
Theoretical studies of religion include symbolic anthropology, phenomenology, functionalism, and rationalism. Symbolic anthropology and phenomenology argue that religion is a support for humanity to rely on. Functionalism interprets religion as unscientific, but I think it contributes to social stability. In rationalism, the theory of secularization arose here because it criticizes religion and is not rational.
Some sociologists conduct theoretical analyses of the sociological dimensions of religion. Charles Y. Glock, for example, is known as the five-dimensional system of religious devotion.
Interesting point
It was interesting to learn about how religion-related sociologists view religion in each field. I was particularly interested in the economy, but I thought I should read a book called "The Ethics of Protestantism and the Spirit of Capitalism" by Max Weber.
Question
I wonder what difference the cult currently in Korea is from the existing religion.
The main difference seems to be the consistency of doctrines. These religions typically tend to deviate from the main accepted religious doctrine or beliefs. For instance, a heretical religion can distort important traits or doctrines of a religion or offer a new interpretation. On the other hand, a general religion is generally shared and supported by believers because it adheres to the traditional doctrines or beliefs of that religion.
ReplyDelete